Ranking for the referees

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ranking for the referees

Post  von K. on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:24 pm

A ranking for the referees should be done on the side of the player ranking. It doesn't have anything to do with image or professionalism, because it's totally weird to think the best players would be the best referees. It isn't like that in any game I know. There is nothing wrong with referees being the players of the tournament, but it's essential to get the best for the best games.

A losing semi finalist being the referee of the final (or losing quarter finalist in the semis etc.) is also psychologically bad thing in a big tournament. Also I feel that there are always players who are more interested in the rules than others, and they are often not the best players. Without a ranking it's impossible to know how good a referee is, when he is not a known player from the circuit. And also the best referees who play in the circuit are not acknowledged by giving them the best matches if they are not among the elite players.

von K.
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ranking for the referees

Post  panagios on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:48 am

This is a great idea IMHO. The refs part is totally neglected. I had proposed this a few months ago to the Greek forum but to no avail. I remember that no one had even answered to the post. LOL

My idea was this: after each game the 2 players should fill out a simple questionaire and should grade the ref in various categories, ie knowledge of rules, quickness of decision, attitude towards the players, positioning, stricktness and any other area seen fit. Also, another questionaire should be filled by the organizer of the tournament grading promptness, cooperation with the registry and other areas. These grades should be sent to FISTF and kept in a database as a record for whatever reason (maybe the best ref of each country could be invited to the WC as a ref). In a national level, the best refs should be chosen for the cup finals, league finals etc and also be given awards.

panagios
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thossa on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 pm

I like that idea, Vesa, but I fear it is unrealizable at the moment. Sleep
Thossa
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile http://www.dstfb.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Freddy on Tue May 04, 2010 9:08 am

von K. wrote:A losing semi finalist being the referee of the final (or losing quarter finalist in the semis etc.) is also psychologically bad thing in a big tournament.

I also loke this idea but you should still think about the real world during an event.
People will surely not stay more than 2 matches if they are out of the tournament and referee another match than the next one.
The only possibility is to have them to referee the next match before they can go.

You will surely find some people who are interrested in staying for referee, but surely not enough...

Something to think about deeply.
Freddy
International Open Winner
International Open Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thossa on Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

A referee ranking list is making sense, if one day a professional Master Series would coming up, as I already suggested.

If some players are intereted in to be part of such Series (not as player, but as referees), FISTF could make a call for a sign in into a so called FISTF referee list. Let´s say, a number of about 30 players would share this idea, than a commission or a survey under the top 50 players could bring as results such a ranking.

Just an idea Idea
Thossa
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile http://www.dstfb.de

Back to top Go down

Post  von K. on Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 am

panagios wrote:My idea was this: after each game the 2 players should fill out a simple questionaire and should grade the ref in various categories, ie knowledge of rules, quickness of decision, attitude towards the players, positioning, stricktness and any other area seen fit. Also, another questionaire should be filled by the organizer of the tournament grading promptness, cooperation with the registry and other areas. These grades should be sent to FISTF and kept in a database as a record for whatever reason (maybe the best ref of each country could be invited to the WC as a ref). In a national level, the best refs should be chosen for the cup finals, league finals etc and also be given awards.

I had something like this in mind, although not so deeply thought. I think the essential thing is how the players grade the referee. There could be maybe simple areas of refereeing that you grade with a number.

Freddy wrote:
von K. wrote:A losing semi finalist being the referee of the final (or losing quarter finalist in the semis etc.) is also psychologically bad thing in a big tournament.

I also loke this idea but you should still think about the real world during an event.
People will surely not stay more than 2 matches if they are out of the tournament and referee another match than the next one.
The only possibility is to have them to referee the next match before they can go.

You will surely find some people who are interrested in staying for referee, but surely not enough...

Something to think about deeply.

Yes, it's not perfect, and so the choice of best referees has to be made from the group of volunteers, who are staying at the tournament. And in many tournaments players who drop out at quarter-finals will stay until the end.

The idea is that out of the possible choices (the players who have to referee one match after dropping out and all the other volunteers at the tournament hall at that moment) we should always get the best referees. Sometimes they would be the ones who dropped out, but even a couple of extra people can make a difference, if they are better referees. And especially if they have more motivation.

This would also make refereeing more respected, and maybe some guys would start seeing it as a trophy if they referee a final or a semi final. I know I would. People also become football referees, so why wouldn't this interest some people if they can't be top players.

von K.
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panagios on Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 am

I believe that the importance and respect towards the role of the ref is essential to the transition from "game" to "sport" status

panagios
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top