What about Scotland?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What about Scotland?

Post  Thossa on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:37 pm

It looks like some people find discussions in wrong topics. Laughing

I see there is a large interest about the current scene in Scotland. So please, try to communicate with Mr. Michael Burns here about what´s right or wrong with FISTF and Scotland.

I can remember, he was one of the initiators for the fall of FISTF into mad mud Suspect
Thossa
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile http://www.dstfb.de

Back to top Go down

Re: What about Scotland?

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Thank you Scotland for contributing to the current disaster Laughing
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://templeuveunited.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kechris on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:44 pm

You think that Scotland is guilty because vote Catania's team?
There are many guilty for last elections.
But the first guilt was the ex BoD and the last guilt was the congress in Rain.
Now the council discuss for India and goalkeeper.
There are so serius problems.
We need a new BoD IMMEDIATELY. A BoD with seven person who will take FAST decisions.
I believe in dialogue but we lost many years witout acts.
Solomon before 3000 years took a decision for the baby in few seconds.(doyou know the story?) In fact the decision look like a terrible mistake. But after everybody understand that was fantastic.
I want to ask Freddy if can give statistics.
How many players take part in 2010 in tournaments?
And how many players took part last year.
I think the bad calendar the bad communication the bad organisation killing the FISTF every day.
Many persons voted last January for a change. But for a better change. Now we have worst change.
So they vote wrong candidates. Why? Because there aren't other candidates. The ex-BoD against new BoD.
Maybe we need new candidates. BUT CANDIDATES WITH PROGRAMM AND IDEAS. NO CANDIDATES WHO HAVE ONLY A GOOD NAME BUT THEY HAVEN'T ONCE WRITE THEIR OPINIONS IN FORUM. I DON'T WANT TO VOTE PEOPLE WITH UNKNOWING IDEAS. I HATE SURPRISES. I WROTE LAST YEAR DON'T VOTE cATANIA'S TEAM BECAUSE I KNEW KOUTROUMANOS. YOU DIDN'T KNOW KOUTROUMANOS YOU VOTED HIS TEAM AND NOW ALL WE CRY FOR THE RESULTS.
kechris
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeburns on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:30 pm

Dont know where to start.

Just 5 minutes ago i read an e-mail from "FISTF" telling me to pay 100euros by next friday or they would cancel our membership (oh no!!) and cancel all our tournaments from the calendar (damn, all those tournaments we had organised wont be played now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just replied to say that i wasn't interested to pay. I have passed the mails onto steve bennett though.

Yes, we did vote for the new board but thats only because a change HAD to happen. FISTF was going down the tubes long before this new board got their hands on it. Its just that they've accelerated the process and turned it into a sick joke in world record time. Make no mistake though it was heading this way anyway.

The current scene in Scotland? we have 3 clubs with about 10 players each, however we can only get about 10 players to a tournament.

There wont be a GP this season, not organised by me anyway. Also someone will have to pay the fistf membership first. Its unfortunate as I have had e-mails in the past week from, switzerland, greece and belgium. I'm not prepared to do all the organising by myself for a tournament.

I would doubt very much actually if there will ever be another FISTF tournament in Scotland! Not FISTF in its current form anyway.

mikeburns
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thossa on Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Mike, three questions to answer, please:

1.) What was wrong from your view with the old BoD?

2.) Would be the lack of international interests in Scotland the same, when the current FISTF BoD would do a better job?

3.) If in the next future a totaly different FISTF BoD would do a better work than the current one, could there be a chance for a scottish comeback in FISTF?

Thanks for the dialog anyway Smile
Thossa
Major winner
Major winner

Back to top Go down

Post  von K. on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:59 pm

Good to have some info about the scene in Scotland. I'm interested (genuinely, it must be added) in a few precisions.

mikeburns wrote:
The current scene in Scotland? we have 3 clubs with about 10 players each, however we can only get about 10 players to a tournament.

Is the number of players decreasing or increasing at the moment? Do you get contacts from new interested people at all?

Do you know if any one of the clubs is travelling to competitions in the near future?

mikeburns wrote:There wont be a GP this season, not organised by me anyway. Also someone will have to pay the fistf membership first. Its unfortunate as I have had e-mails in the past week from, switzerland, greece and belgium. I'm not prepared to do all the organising by myself for a tournament.

So the problem with tournaments (and maybe lack of activity) is the same as almost everywhere. Too big procent of the guys just want to play. So you have to organise almost by yourself. Am I correct?

It's a pity, if you can't (understandably) organise anymore. Not pity because of FISTF (or me), but for the whole idea of meeting players from different countries.

mikeburns wrote:Not FISTF in its current form anyway.

What would be a better form in your opinion? And what would be needed from FISTF to get Scotland interested again?

The FISTF is bound to go into a big change, so all views are important.

von K.
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Heinz Eder on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 am

another clear break of rules.
they only can cancel your Grand Prix the scottish association won't pay and maybe the second international open, if you requested 2 so far.
they must let you organize 1 International Open, 2 Satellites, 2 Challengers and 2 Futures.
additionally it is written down in the last valid version of the handbook (the board didn't take the time to publish a handbook for the current season) that associations have to pay till latest 31st of january 2011 for the current season.
I know it doesn't interest you, but in case the board takes actions against Scotland (austria got the same letter) is the CoN ready to support those associations against the rule breakers?
The CoN should start a list with all points of mistakes of the current board.

Heinz

mikeburns wrote:Dont know where to start.

Just 5 minutes ago i read an e-mail from "FISTF" telling me to pay 100euros by next friday or they would cancel our membership (oh no!!) and cancel all our tournaments from the calendar (damn, all those tournaments we had organised wont be played now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I just replied to say that i wasn't interested to pay. I have passed the mails onto steve bennett though.

Yes, we did vote for the new board but thats only because a change HAD to happen. FISTF was going down the tubes long before this new board got their hands on it. Its just that they've accelerated the process and turned it into a sick joke in world record time. Make no mistake though it was heading this way anyway.

There wont be a GP this season, not organised by me anyway. Also someone will have to pay the fistf membership first. Its unfortunate as I have had e-mails in the past week from, switzerland, greece and belgium. I'm not prepared to do all the organising by myself for a tournament.

I would doubt very much actually if there will ever be another FISTF tournament in Scotland! Not FISTF in its current form anyway.

Heinz Eder
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeburns on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm not sure what to do to get people interested. Most of the people in Edinburgh are only interested to play in the club in Edinburgh, most of the players in Glasgow will only play in Glasgow, most of the players in Tayside will only play in Tayside. It wouldnt matter to most of them who the world governing body is, they're not interested, they just want to play at their own clubs, we can hardly get them to buy into a Scottish Association, nevermind FISTF! I would be willing to wager that more than 50% of all the players in Scotland either couldnt tell you who is the governing body or they couldnt tell you what F.I.S.T.F stands for.

Almost every player in Scotland needs spoon fed. What I mean by that is that you have to tell them 5 times when your club is on, you have to tell them 10 times when a tournament is on. You have to give them every little detail lots and lots of times. Hardly anybody acts positive, no-one just about has come to me and said "right mike, i'll get a website sorted for the association" or "i have a great idea for some promotion". Its hard to explain exactly what i mean but I hope you are getting the picture. Its like farting against thunder! If every player in Scotland who plays at club level would play at tournaments then we could get about 30 players at a tournament.

You'll notice that I say "just about no-one", i do get the odd helping hand and people willing to do things. Anytime I ever say "this has to happen or we need to do this" people will stand up and say that they will help, when it comes to it though its still me doing 90%-95% of the work.

Dont get me wrong, in terms of the Scottish Grand Prix in the last few years if i hadn't had that extra 5%-10% help then there's no way i could have run the tournament.

i do not mind organising, infact i love doing it but i cannot do everything by myself. I have reached the end of my patience in terms of trying to do everything!

As for this year, because we've held our GP at a football stadium I asked if FISTF could "hold" two dates for us in January for 2 weeks until the football fixtures came out. We couldnt play the event if the team was at home. It took them 3 weeks to reply then said we're not allowed two dates and that France had already booked their GP for one of the weekends. It was a punch in the stomach! I think I knew then I wouldnt organise a GP this year.

I got an e-mail from a kid who is interested in playing but he doesnt stay near any clubs. Nearest is Edinburgh but it is a fairly long drive. He said he's got a few of his mates to play as well but without anyone there to teach them the rules I fear they'll quickly lose interest. I dont know how to keep his interest up.

I think even if the current FISTF board were to walk away today and a new one to take over then there wouldnt be anymore interest in Scotland. Maybe for a couple of people but it wouldnt make any difference to most.

The problem with the current game is the rules, you can get away with just about anything you want. The flicking is atrocious, there's far too many tournaments, the rules are too complex, the rules have too many grey areas, not enough black and white areas. World Cups are shambolic. The Europa League and Champions League idea was one of the worst ever. I suppose I can see the reasoning behind it but I dont go to tournaments to win them, I go to play the better players so I can become a better player myself. I want to play the top top guys. If I had the choice of going to a GP I could win or going to a tournament and playing in a group against, Guimares, Bolognino, Delogne, De Francesco, Nastasi and maybe getting no points or scoring no goals I would definitely choose the 2nd option! I only can really get myself to play when i'm playing in a tough match. Matches or tournaments when i'm expected to do well in I cant concentrate properly. Also, rule breakers aren't dealt with in the appropriate manner.

We need a game that is respected. No-one, not even the players who play the game, respect the game. That has to change, how this is achieved i do not know.

The game is far too fragmented, I think Luis got the wrong idea about my post that I put on another thread when I said "i support the idea to fragment the game even more".

In my opinion there should be a lot less International tournaments and more emphasis on the national scene. LESS IS MORE!!!

Each country should have an International Weekend. In these weekends you play a team event. Then for the individuals you have maybe 3 or 4 tournaments running. Grand Prix, Satellite and Challenger. Reduce the amount of players needed to get 100% of ranking points. This format would see lesser players sharing the big stage with Flores and Verhagen but wouldnt need to suffer a 28-0 defeat against them. Players choose what Category they play in.

Players above WR 100 for example MUST play in the Grand Prix competition, however WR372 could play Grand Prix if they wanted to but would be eligible for the Satellite or Challenger tournament. There would obviously be bigger incentives to play the GP tournament, more WR points, possibly Prize money, bigger trophies!!!

The game recently has been totally geared towards the top players. In many different sports when they have a tournament they have it split into abilities rather than age. This makes sense for our sport too. Look at Darts, Phil Taylor is 50 years old and the best player in the world!!! Have only 2, maybe 3 categories. Open, U-19 and possibly ladies.

I dont think any of the clubs will be travelling any time soon. Steve Bennett is Tayside's main guy and plays for EPL in England, Glasgow aren't interested to travel while I find it hard enough to get guys to travel one or two kilometres to our club, nevermind book a flight or organise a train to a tournament abroad. i think i'd actually sign for a new club for one or two seasons, if asked, until the guys in Edinburgh wanted to travel again. Never thought i'd say that but its frustrating. I love playing and playing big tournaments but its impossible to get anyone to travel.

Anyway, i've done hardly any work today, lucky the boss isnt in! i better get back to work I suppose!

mikeburns
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  panagios on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:04 pm

One of the best posts I have ever read. I think that it sums up most of the problems that this game has, in terms of organization, interest, support from the association, frustration for the odd organizer, etc etc etc.

plus, I share the idea of less is more, but this is only me speaking

panagios
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Thossa on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm

panagios wrote:One of the best posts I have ever read. I think that it sums up most of the problems that this game has, in terms of organization, interest, support from the association, frustration for the odd organizer, etc etc etc.

plus, I share the idea of less is more, but this is only me speaking

I totally agree with that. I can find myself in Mike´s words too. And I also share the idea of less is more, as well as former BoD. The only one saying this... Laughing But now the FISTF Calendar is on an automatically way down with less offical tournaments. So far it looks like all invisible greek tournaments are welcome for the current crew Razz
Thossa
Major winner
Major winner

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin Hodds on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:17 pm

Superb post, Michael. Very Happy

Unfortunately I think what you say is true in most places, not just Scotland ! Sad

Martin Hodds
Grand Prix Winner
Grand Prix Winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  von K. on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Mike, thanks a lot for a long and most important post! It was very interesting read and as some others have said, it hits the nail on the head in many points for many countries.

What the game needs more is guys like you. Clearly with (almost) endless enthusiasm and love for the game itself.

For me your kind of people are the most important for this game also in the view of FISTF. The federations work has to be supported by correct decisions by the FISTF.

And that's why I feel that FISTF has to be interested in your views. If only the people in the big countries would understand that in some countries the game (as an international game) can be held alive by one or two persons. And that the game has to take everyone into account.

The post was so full of good thoughts, that it needs to be digested well with time.

Thanks again!

Then some thoughts about helping the game there. Don't know if any are useful to you...

For the kids that live outside Edinburgh:

- Maybe their fathers could be interested, and help them?
- Or if they are football fans, then creating leagues with named figures could help with the enthusiasm. Statistics, role playing, and all that (makes the damn tv games also more interesting).
- And simplified rules (a must for FISTF to create) would be important.
- As they are kids (not playing officially yet), you can support them to make their own judgements and rule modifications, if they don't understand all rules or want the game to be more football like.

All these things are used in Finland, and we have progress at the moment. Not comparable situation of course, but worth trying.

For new players, have you ever announced on the University/College information wall about the game? I understand (for some reason) that you work in a place like that. Students seem to be open to these things and announcing the possibility of international activity could increase interest.

von K.
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Janus_Gersie on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:46 am

mikeburns wrote:Just 5 minutes ago i read an e-mail from "FISTF" telling me to pay 100euros by next friday or they would cancel our membership (oh no!!) and cancel all our tournaments from the calendar (damn, all those tournaments we had organised wont be played now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Well, who didn't receive a mail like this in the last days ? We received a mail with an "invoice" for members/clubs having misbehaved and therefore being punished. No problem with that, BUT:

- Incidents happenend 100 years ago
- Appeals were sent at that days
- No answer ever about the appeals

Now the responsibles are telling me that these certain players/organisers would be cancelled from FISTF if we don't pay.

Okay, guys, go for it. I am no longer hiding my disresepect for the current board. I was one of the strongest supporters of the CoN but now I must admit Silvio is becoming more and more THE problem.

Right now this board is losing more and more its reputation .....

Janus
Janus_Gersie
Major winner
Major winner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top